Flora First Christian Church has roots in the Stone-Campbell church tradition (also known as the Restoration Movement). We associate with the Disciples Heritage Fellowship (DHF) and we affirm the DHF statement of faith:
- The God revealed in Scripture is the only God, existing in three persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is eternal, unchanging, all powerful, all knowing, and everywhere present. God created the heavens and earth, and all things visible and invisible. God is both the Creator and Sustainer of all reality.
- Jesus is the Son of God who became flesh through His miraculous conception of the Holy Spirit and birth from a virgin. He lived a sin-free life and willingly accepted his death on a cross to pay the price for the sin of the world. After three days in a grave, Jesus rose to life, had interaction with many witnesses before He ascended into heaven, and now is with God the Father in heaven. Jesus is the only Savior and mediator between God and man, and apart from him there is no salvation. Jesus will return to earth one day.
- The Holy Spirit is given to all who trust in the name and work of Jesus Christ. He draws unbelievers to faith in Jesus Christ, and enables believers to grow in Christ-like character. Gifts of the Holy Spirit empower believers for service to Christ.
- We believe that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the inspired Word of God, inerrant in the original writings, complete as the revelation of God’s will for salvation, and supreme and final authority in faith and life. We believe that Scripture in its entirety originated with God and that it was given through the pens of chosen men. Therefore, scripture both speaks with the authority of God and reflects the background, styles, and vocabularies of the human authors.
- Human beings are created in the image of God. Original sin by Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3) as well as personal sin alienates all of humanity from God. All humans need to trust in the sacrifice of Jesus for salvation and receive regenerating and renewal by the Holy Spirit. A response to the gospel includes faith, repentance and baptism.
- We believe Scripture teaches baptism by immersion for believers.
- The command of Christ to the church is to proclaim the gospel throughout the world and make disciples of all people groups, baptize believers, and teach the commandments of Jesus. This is call of every believer as well as each local church.